Sunday, March 24, 2013

Ask Your Tech Questions Ep.2


How do I know what kind of case to get for my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S G4?

I am trying to find a cheap/second-hand case for my cellphone. I bought this cellphone second-hand at an Unclaimed Baggage. However, every time I look for a case on eBay, I never can seem to find one that is specifically for what I have. When I do a search, I include the terms "T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S," but I basically get results for the S2, S3, and S4, but not just for the "S." On the other hand, I do get results of T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S G4 SGH T-959 VIBRANT phone, which looks like my cellphone.



Hi Kim,

Hope all is well!

Your question is easy to answer.
  1. Your phone is actually called the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S G4 T959 (or SGH T-959, or Vibrant 4G or Vibrant Plus, they are all the same and the same case will fit any of these phones).
  2. Here's a case I recommend for you on eBay http://bit.ly/103qQ7l
  3. If you don't like what I have suggested then here's a discussion on all the best cases for your phone http://bit.ly/h11azb



Do you need any kind of plan with a unlocked phone or can you just buy minutes?

Out of curiousity do you need a plan with an unlocked phone? This is an example say someone bought me a unlocked phone and I can use it for T-Mobile. I put my SIM card into the phone. Could I just buy minutes and refill them when I run out or do I have to use a monthly plan or a pay as you go plan? Thanks for your help!


Hi AngelicRose.

You are absolutely right. You just buy minutes and refill them up.

However, T-Mobile networks are finicky as they only work best with T-Mobile branded phones. If your unlock phone is from say AT&T and it works with T-Mobile, your data speed however may be on Edge and not 3G.

Hope that helps!




How can I make hotspot work on iphone 3gs?

I have TMobile service and own a phone that works well--both wifi and hotspot--being 4g. I do want to get an iphone but my contract with tmobile is not up for renewal until 2014. So, my friend, who recently got a new iphone, got her 3gs iphone unlocked and gave it to me. I love it but:
1) the bar on top of the screen keeps showing tmobile E...
2) hotspot don't work!!
3)when Im out it starts loses network on and off.
What should I do?


Hey NS.

Firstly, I think you need to purchase a hotspot feature on T-Mobile to get hotspot to work. (or maybe not as I just read it's included in your data)

Secondly, your friend's unlocked iPhone 3GS data does not work on your T-Mobile Network. The reason is your friend's unlocked iPhone 3GS data cannot connect to T-Mobile's 1700 AWS Band (which is what T-Mobile is on.)

Thirdly, I don't think iPhones work on T-Mobile's data network and if it is it might only be the iPhone 5.

So to answer your question:
1) the bar on top of the screen keeps showing tmobile E...
-Yes that's how it should be.

2) hotspot don't work!!
-No it won't work on Edge.

3)when Im out it starts loses network on and off.
-Yes because your friend's unlocked iPhone 3GS is not compatible with the 1700 AWS network of TMobile. If you were on AT&T then yes, your friend's unlocked iPhone 3GS would work PERFECTLY.

You should try getting a T-Mobile phone like the Samsung Galaxy S2. If hotspot doesn't work or they charge you for it, you ROOT it and there's a hotspot hack that will work on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment